Want an idea for your daughter’s next birthday party? This project is a bit of prep work, but kept all twelve girls very occupied and they had so much fun doing it. The best part of this art activity – these become your favors so you don’t have to bag up all that junk that gets tossed out.
Here is a list of things you will need:
- canvases – you can get these fairly inexpensive in a pack of 4 from Hobby Lobby
- paint brushes – $ store items
- masking tape
- paint color of your choice
- stencil – printed from computer
- hot glue gun
- staple gun
- Before the party started (a week ahead as soon as I received all of the RSVPs, I printed out initials of the girls’ names. I used the font Curlz MT and outlined it so I did not waste black ink.
- Then over some wine and late night shows with the hubby, I cut out all the stencils using a razorblade.
- I used a staple gun to attached the ribbon to the canvas.
- A few hours before the party started, I set up the tables with the canvases, paint brushes, and artificial flowers, and strips of masking tape. Oh, and I placed hubby’s old T-shirts for cover up (yes, he only owns comic shirts). Do not put the paint out yet.
- Once the group was ready to start, I did a demo on putting the tape on. Most chose to make random taping, but if you can help them measure out with a ruler if they prefer parallel stripes.
- Have kids choose one or two paint colors only to paint the first layer.
- While it is drying, that when the girls came in to eat the spring rolls and hotdogs and snacks. You can have a helper blow-dry (on cool) to help it dry faster.
- Once girls are done eating and the canvases have dried, peel off the tape. I swear this was the most fun part for them!
- Help them tape on the stencils and give them some black paint. Eliminate too many choices when working with a large group of kids.
- Paint the letter using the premade stencil.
- As the girls were running off eating, dancing to Dance Jam, or doing playing in the yard, I took the opportunity to do a “mommy touchup” on each of theirs. Black sharpies work the best.
- Glue on the flower of their choice. Place them in gift bags with some tissue and send them home filled with sugar from cake and ice cream!
Best party ever Mom! – from my daughter that night